Saturday, August 11

who i am

We drove up Pike's Peak today - it was beautiful. Cold, but beautiful. We brilliant Floridiots Floridians wore, of course, shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops. It was not only 41 degrees up there, it was windy and kinda rainy (we even saw some hail). Brr.

{As I'm writing this, I'm watching the Olympics. Watching the fastest man in the world and his ego. Do you know how many times I've heard Usain Bolt call himself a legend? Did you see how he didn't congratulate anyone else? Do you know how many times you can hear the pronouns "I" and "me" coming out of his mouth? Boy, is it hard to love someone with that attitude. Jesus, help me love my 'enemies'...and help me remember that our fight is not one of flesh and blood, but one against "against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." --Ephesians 10:12}

Driving back, we were listening to music in the car. And a verse in one particular song hit me...sadly, I cannot remember that particular song (I think it was Newsboys...?). Oh, the imperfection of the human brain.

Anyway. I do, thankfully, remember what I was hit with...and it was so simple, but something I needed to be reminded of. And it was so clear.

My struggle with sin does not define me. Really, it doesn't. Yeah, being a perfectionist, trying to do it on my own, being a "good girl"...those are all struggles of mine. But they don't make up who I am....you wanna know who I am?


"Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His Name, He gave the right to become children of God — children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God."
--John 1:12-13

I'm a child of God. Not by anything I've done...but because of His love.

That is who I am. That is what defines me. Not anything of myself, but Christ in me, the hope of glory.

Who are you? What do you let define you?

p.s. this was the highlight of the Olympics so far for me :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Monica said...

Hello!
There is a movie, "Anger Management"
Not the best movie in content, has some trashy scenes.
But it does have one part that I have remembered, is when Robert DeNiro ask Adam Sandler WHO he was. Not what he does, but WHO he is.
And the character Sandler plays, isn't able to really say WHO he is apart from what he does.

And we truly are God's Children.
That's how we should define ourselves.

Thanks for posting!
Monica

Nicole said...

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, Emma!

Yes, Monica, we truly are God's children. You're right, in this world, so many people who live without knowing their Savior, they don't know who they are apart from what they do (i.e. I'm an artist, a writer, an athlete, an actor, a musician, etc.). Thanks for sharing that!